Tomorrow, the Senate will have a chance to show us where their priorities really lie -- either with the top 2% or the other 98% of us.
We know the tax system is rigged in favor of the ultra-rich and corporations at the expense of the rest of us. Ending the Bush tax cuts for the top 2% is a good first step towards tax fairness. Senate Democrats have a bill that will do just that, but the GOP refuses to make the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share.
The GOP believes that giving away $1 trillion in tax breaks to the richest 2% will create jobs. We believe the middle class is the engine of our economy and that when working people have money, they spend it, creating business and jobs.
Don't let the GOP hold 98% of us hostage.
It was bankers on Wall Street who are part of the 1% who got us into this mess. So why is it that the middle class are the ones cleaning it up? We need a balanced approach to our budget woes, and that means making the ultra-rich pay their fair share.
The Bush tax cuts always favored the rich. Where middle class families only saw a reduction of about $1,000, the richest 1% received 38% of the Bush tax cuts.2 Over ten years later and we never got the jobs that the right wing promised would trickle down. That's because working people with good jobs drive the economy, not the 1%.
We need a fair tax system that works for the 99% of us who work hard and play by the rules, not the 1% who lobby hard and rewrite them.
Tell the Senate to stand with the middle class by ending the Bush tax cuts for the ultra-rich once and for all.
USAction / TrueMajority